Easy Strawberry JamMakes about 8 (4oz/135ml) jars
Strawberries and sugar combine to create this easy strawberry jam. Try out this recipe, then make it your own as you discover new twists to this favourite preserving recipes.
Level of Ease:Easy
Preserving Method:Waterbath Preserving
You Will Need:
- 4 cups (1L) crushed strawberries
- 3 cups (750mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (59 mL) lemon juice
- 8 (4 oz) Ball® glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE preserving pot. Wash jars, lids and bands in hot, soapy water. Heat jars in simmering water. Set lids and bands aside.
- COMBINE crushed strawberries, lemon juice and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Boil, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and gels. Remove from heat. Skim off foam.
- LADLE hot jam into hot jars, one at a time, leaving 1/4 inch (0.5cm) headspace. Wipe rim. Center lids on jars. Apply bands and adjust to fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove pot lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store up to 1 year in the pantry.
Delicious Homemade Strawberry Jam Variations
Vanilla Strawberry Jam:
Add half a vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise, to the crushed strawberries. Cook as directed and remove vanilla bean before ladling jam into jars. The resulting jam will be enhanced with subtle yet distinct vanilla overtones.
Strawberry Balsamic Jam:
Reduce the lemon juice to 1 tbsp and add 3 tbsp good-quality balsamic vinegar. Balsamic vinegar accents the strawberry flavor and gives the jam a robust taste.
Lemony Strawberry Jam:
Add the grated zest of 1 large lemon to the crushed strawberries.
Peppered Strawberry Jam:
Stir 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper into the cooked jam just before ladling it into the jars. Pepper accents and compliments strawberries' sweet flavor. Be sure to use freshly ground pepper, which delivers a fresher-quality flavor.
Share Your Photos
Do you have a photo of Easy Strawberry Jam you made?
Share with others!
Add + Photo